Monday, July 19, 2010

The Beginning

I have been thinking about creating a blog for some time now. The purpose for this blog is to inform my family and friends of what has been happening in my life recently, to invite them to participate in my new life journey, and to ask for you to support me as prayer partners as I move on from here.

I attended Southern Nazarene University (SNU) in Bethany, Oklahoma this last '09-'10 school year. I played soccer for the university and was very fortunate to establish many friendships there. I was planning on returning in the fall for my sophomore year, but was really only doing it because that is what kids my age do. Also, during this last year I was trying to avoid my relationship with God. However, God has remained faithful throughout and has recently retaken a hold of my heart and has called me back for a stronger longing for His presence. More about that in a moment!

I should explain how my freshman year went first. Well, I started the year feeling like I was on top of the world because I was a starter on the soccer team, had the best group of friends, and, no offense to my parents, was on my own; out of the house. It seemed like it was going to be a great year. First semester was not too bad, but second semester took a turn for the worse. I got pretty depressed and did not want to have any social interactions. I doubted my faith, ignored my friends and schoolwork. I was becoming a mess. Whenever I was around people talking about God, the church, or anything along the lines of Christianity, I would turn and begin another conversation with someone else so I did not have to partake in the conversation.

Sometime after school ended I had a conversation with my sister-in-law, resulting in my examination of why I was depressed. I wanted to know what caused it. I narrowed it down to the lack of faith. I had no room for God. How can a life be full of joy and happiness without Him? After thinking about that for a while, I prayed for the first time in who knows how long. I also went to church for the first time this year, 2010 that is. Because of my revelation, I have decided to not go back to SNU this fall; instead, I will be going to Harrisburg, Pennsylvania to attend Youth With A Mission (YWAM). I will be in Harrisburg for five months involved in a Discipleship Training School (DTS) and then I will go out on an outreach for three months. I will either be staying here in America or going to Europe witnessing to Ivy League students and the community around them. I am very excited for this adventure. I recognize how big of a step towards a life fully submerged in the heart and will of God this will be. I cannot be more excited, but along with this excitement comes a great leap of faith, some fear, and nervousness. I humbly ask you to partner with me and support me with your prayers as I seek a deeper relationship with Him. "I (we) can do everything through Him who gives me strength (Philippians 4:13)."



"Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it."
~Matthew 10:39

2 comments:

  1. Tyler,
    Great to hear this update, the honest assessment of your journey this last year and a report of what's next. I really look forward to connecting with you while you're in PA. It's not that far of a drive for us...
    May God bless and direct you this year!!!
    Your cousin,
    Jared

    ReplyDelete
  2. tyler that is awesome. i am so excited for you and wish i had the courage to be as bold as you in your faith. i know that since you've given your life to hi, God will bless you and everything will work according to his plan.i will miss you at snu but i have a feeling it wont be the last of you.. or at least it better not. you are such a great leader already i can only imagine what God is going to do with your life!

    ReplyDelete